Thursday, March 08, 2007

Smashing Pumpkins

Er...that is....knitting pumpkins. I only felt like smashing pumpkins. I was trying to knit a simple little pumpkin for Ruby's play food collection. Well, my play food collection but I'll let her play with it. So I found this pattern on Curly Purly for a cute little pumpkin. It's just knit and purl, I think to myself, I can handle that. Uh huh. Problem is, I've never used DPN's. Never once in my life. I've knit in the round once on 16" circulars, so I figured this DPN stuff can't be too hard.

Day 1: I cast on. I immediately start knitting with the wrong needle. Realizing my mistake, I try to go back. I drop a bunch of stitches, and frog the whole thing. I cast on again. I start knitting. I get around once only to realize I was knitting with my tail. Frog again. Cast on again. Start knitting, with the ball this time, going along okay when about 5 stitches slide right off my aluminum needles. FROG AGAIN. That's it, I'm going to the store and getting bamboo needles.

Day 2: I cast on my brand new bamboo needles. Which I love. I get 3 rounds in, things are going great. I set the thing down to make dinner. I suppose I should feed the family first then knit. After dinner and clean up, I pick up my little project. Start knitting. Get around all three needles and realize I once again was knitting with the tail. *&%^$%#! That's it. I'm going to bed. Here was the scene...
Note the abandoned alumimum DPN's and the munchies. I needed something to ease the stress. This was supposed to be a simple knit.

Day 3: I cast on bright and early. I might need all day to get this right. This time I tied a bow in the tail end. It was either that or a sign that said "this is the tail, dummy, don't knit with it." Suprisingly, I got it right on the first try. Fifth time's a charm I guess. By the end I was starting to get the hang of it. Here is my finished product. Isn't it smashing.

All that work made these carrots seem easy as pie! They are crocheted. I think I could make a dozen in the time it took me to make this pumpkin.
Because I am a glutton for punishment, I just cast on a green pepper in a modified pumpkin pattern. I figure if I do more knit between less purls, and continue up twice as many rows it might turn out like a green pepper shape. I certainly hope so anyway. The green pepper is one veggie I can't find a pattern for in knit or crochet. I wonder why that is?

1 Comments:

Blogger revjac said...

Honey, I am so glad for your persistence! Your pumpkin is so cute! Also, I like the carrots. I think it is so neat that you can figure out how to do all these foods. Keep up the good work!

Love,
Mom

3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home